There is a new work opportunity at World Bank. The Counsel position will be based in Accra, Ghana for a duration of 3 years. The selected applicant will be expected to be willing and able to travel to all countries in Africa and the Middle East. S/he will be a lawyer who can operate independently to handle legal and policy issues related to the Bank’s work while working collaboratively with other lawyers within LEGAM and LEG as a whole.
Duties And Accountabilities:
The Counsel position requires demonstrated ability to apply rigorous analytical skills, to work harmoniously in a team, and to exercise good judgment. The level and quality of these skills will be a determining factor in the selection for the position, and references will be given consideration in this determination. The Counsel will work under direct supervision of the Chief Counsel and day-to-day guidance will be provided by one or more Lead or Senior Counsels in headquarters or in the field (primarily the Bank office in Ghana).
The Counsel will be: Covering a broad portfolio within a functional area, providing advice to management and clients on legal and policy issues in one or more areas of concentration.
- Responsible for the successful delivery of legal work on projects and programs and other transactions within client assignments; drafting, reviewing, negotiating, and finalizing legal documents for World Bank’s operations.
- Handling issues within an area of concentration to enable clients to create solutions.
- Providing legal support to ongoing projects and programs, including reviewing project and program documents for adherence to World Bank Group legal policies and procedures, and business objectives.
Check Also: WTO Young Professionals Programme 2024
- Supporting operational teams and clients on public-private partnership projects via a sound understanding of the economic and social drivers and impacts of public-private partnerships.
- Conducting comparative legal analyses on a range of issues in a given area, identify legal and policy issues, research for relevant precedents, and propose appropriate solutions to colleagues and clients, with a particular focus on bringing knowledge of the legal systems of India and/or one more other regional countries.
- Engaging in policy discussions and negotiations with officials internally and externally, developing relationships with members of the legal profession and lawyers working in development partner agencies.
- Protecting and promoting World Bank Group’s interests.
- Writing and reviewing policy papers, undertaking legal research on topics in area of concentration and -contributing to dissemination of policy and best practices in a given field.
- Preparing legal briefs on diverse topics, as required.
- Participating in task/project teams and operational missions; and
- Performing ad hoc assignments as requested by the Chief Counsel or designated Lead/Senior Counsel.
- At least 5 years relevant work experience with Law Degree (JD/LLB/LLM or equivalent) and admission to the Bar in any jurisdiction.
- Excellent oral and written skills in English is required.Additional languages (French or Portuguese preferred; Arabic a plus).
General Competencies Required:
- Excellent legal research, writing, drafting, analytical and communications skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience in international, commercial or contract law, in transactional legal work and/or preparation and negotiation of legal agreements.
- Excellent legal drafting skills, including of agreements, legal memos and/or well-reasoned litigation pleadings and ability to deliver cogent oral arguments, where applicable.
- Familiarity in the use of varied legal research sources (including electronic sources on the internet) and other databases.
- Proven ability to operate effectively as a member of one or more teams; must be a self-starter and collaborate well with others; ability to exercise sound judgment in recognizing what issues to bring to the attention of the Chief Counsel and/or another supervising Counsel, and which to handle autonomously.
- Proven ability to identify and help manage legal risk, through sound judgment, determining and escalating risk appropriately, providing risk-based advice, and guide more junior staff on the same.
- Proven ability to deal sensitively in multicultural and multi-ethnic environments and build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Ability to supervise and work with local counsel in a collaborative and collegial way;
- Ability to work under time pressure and to juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines.
How To Submit An Application For World Bank’s Work Opportunity
Deadline: 19th April, 2023
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
- To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED