The management of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) have declared No more Hall elections effective 2023/2024 academic year.
The Junior Common Room (JCR) system of student-run Hall Management at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) has been abolished by university administration.
This decision was made as a result and reaction to the clash between Unity Hall and University Hall students that resulted in damaged vehicles.
The University’s management has decided to do away with the Junior Common Room (JCR) system of hall management, as stated in a release signed by A.K. Boateng, the Registrar/Secretary to the University Council. From the 2023–2024 school year, students will no longer be able to vote for Hall executives.
On Friday, August 26, 2022, the University Council had an emergency meeting and made the decision.
“With effect from the 2023/2024 Academic Year, the Junior Common Room (JCR) System of Hall Management by students, is ABOLISHED. This means, there would be no Students’ elections for hall executives. The existing governance structure comprising Hall Councils, Hall Masters and Senior Tutors, would continue to operate in the management of the alfairs of the Halls. In addition, Hall Fellows will be appointed and assigned to floors/blocks of the Halls to exercise direct supervision over matters affecting students”, the report stated.
Aside the abolishment of the Hall Elections, other decisions were taken by the University Management which are as follows:
- Any student who participates in the organisation of ‘morale’ and/or ‘procession’ shall be SUMMARILY DISMISSED.
- Any student/students who is/are caught to be harbouring dismissed, rusticated, withdrawn student(s) and/alumnus/alumna in his/her room in any of the Halls of Residence on Campus, shall be sanctioned appropriately.
- Students who indulge in any act which will warrant dismissal, will have their names and pictures widely published in the National Dailies and on the University Website.
- Students who are rusticated for various offences will have their names and pictures published internally for the attention of the University Community.
- Council vehemently condemned the recent disturbances and supported the ongoing investigations by the Ghana Police Service and the University Authorities. It was the decision of Council that any person/student found culpable should be dealt with according to the rules of the University and
those requiring further prosecution by the State should be handed over to
Meanwhile, Hall Week and SRC Week Celebrations have been SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY by the University.
No more Hall elections In KNUST: Read full Statement Below:
- One KNUST student remanded for threat to stab others to death
- Old students involved in riot will have their certificates revoked – MGT of KNUST
- KNUST || Katanga and Conti Clash on Campus as properties gets destroyed
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
- To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED