- Company: Chemonics
- Location: Ghana
- State: Gomoa West, Central
- Job Type: Full Time
- Job Category: Administrative Jobs in Ghana
The Supporting Africa to be Climate and Natural Resources Smart (SUCCESS) Programme aims to address cross-border challenges in areas at the forefront of the climate and poverty agenda:
- Reducing resource degradation by improving water, land and forest management;
- Increasing opportunity to build climate change into key sectoral decisions by improving use and generation of climate and weather information;
- Generating sustainable growth and wellbeing by facilitating low carbon development; and – Supporting local capacities (policy, institutional, technical, financial) to build regional resilience to climate and natural resource risks.
The regional programme will implement activities aligned to four focal thematic areas: Transboundary water management; natural resource management and reducing degradation for poverty reduction, including forestry; weather and climate information services; and low carbon energy development and energy access.
The programme is anticipated to be tendered in Q2 2021.
- The Team Leader is responsible for addressing project objectives, and leading the team to deliver results.
- A key requirement of this role is to ensure that the objectives, deliverables and outcomes are met and that the team adheres to client (the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office) operational, commercial and reporting requirements. Therefore, experience working with the FCDO or its predecessors would be very advantageous.
- The Team Leader will be responsible for overall leadership, management and delivery of the programme, and will sit as part of the senior leadership team.
- The Team Leader will oversee the long term expatriates, short term experts and local staff in achieving project results.
- There will be a need to undertake regular assessment of the broader political environment within which the project operates to ensure flexibility and rapid reprioritisation of activities when necessary.
- In addition, the Team Leader will represent the programme on behalf of Chemonics and the client to government officials, stakeholders and partner organisations.
- Strategic leadership of the team, including technical professionals, also forms a large part of this role, so it is essential that the individual has demonstrable experience of doing this remotely.
- Managing relationships with internal and external stakeholders, whilst ensuring that Chemonics policies and best practices are always adhered to.
- Engaging with country governments, private sector organisations and key partner organisations.
- Leading a team of technical experts to ensure the main elements of the programme are delivered accurately, timely and to budget.
- Ensuring contractual deliverables are met, and to anticipate any delays that may occur in a timely manner, identifying risks and providing solutions
- Oversee contractual and financial matters with donors and key partners and play a key role in the preparation of budget.
- Regular drafting and compilation of monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Providing timely and accurate reporting to FCDO on all programme areas.
- Overseeing all technical aspects of the project and participating, as required, in assessment, analysis, and training.
- Managing, leading and overseeing long and short-term staff and subcontractors in achieving project results.
- Overseeing the development and implementation of the M&E framework.
- Ensuring good relations with donor agencies and local implementing partners.
- Ensuring good, frequent, and direct communications with the Head Office.
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- High level strategic visioning and project management, preferably with experience in managing complex activities involving coordination with multiple partner institutions.
- Proven leadership in the design, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of FCDO programs.
- Extensive experience working with project counterparts, particularly senior-level officials from the government, private sector and civil society.
- Technical experience preferred in one or several of the following: transboundary water management, natural resource management, weather and climate information services, low carbon energy development and energy access
- Demonstrated leadership skills necessary to develop, articulate and carry out a vision for the project.
- Prior experience as either a Team Leader, Chief of Party, Country Director or similar, specifically with the FCDO or any of its predecessors.
- Experience preferred in one or several of the following countries: Egypt, Ethiopia, Niger, Zambia, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Niger, Chad, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Togo, Congo, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique, Madagascar
- Established relationships with governments, civil society organisations and private sector organisations, within the region.
- Proven experience of managing large scale donor portfolios.
- Culturally sensitive and aware of African countries, customs and ways of working.
- Fluent written and spoken English, any additional languages would be advantageous.
Method of Application
Application Deadline: 31st July 2021
No telephone inquiries, please. However, if you are not able to apply through our Career Center due to a disability, underlying health condition or for some other legitimate reason, or require an adjustment to do so, please contact us at email@example.com. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis and finalists will be contacted.
We look forward to receiving your application.
About the Company
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and we are opposed to discrimination on any grounds.
We are committed to creating a diverse environment, and therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, sex, race, religion or belief, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, age, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn about how we process your personal data.
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
- To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED