Here’s everything you need to know about COLA for teachers in Ghana. The details of the much talked about COLA, as well as its implementation and payment, are outlined in the following section.
What then is COLA for Teachers?
COLA stands for Cost Of Living Allowance. In the event that government employee salary cannot be increased immediately, they are given a short-term benefit of allowance known as COLA For Teachers.
As a result, payments of COLA for teachers are halted as soon as their salaries increase.
Demand of Teachers
The Teachers Union are pushing for an increase to their salaries. In light of the government’s financial constraints, it would be nearly impossible for it to raise teachers’ salaries by the 20% they are requesting. Because of this, the teachers’ unions are pushing further for a COLA.
- Nana Addo Begs Teachers To End Strike For The Sake Of BECE Candidates
- Rescind and return to the classroom – Yaw Adutwum
- Government has approved no guarantor policy for tertiary students – Yaw Adutwum
Why COLA for Teachers in Ghana?
This idea came up probably because of the constantly depreciating and the rising cost of living in the country.
Since increment of salaries would be difficult, it’s easier to get the government to pay a 20% COLA for teachers than a 20% raise in salary because the COLA is only temporary and can be canceled as soon as there is an increase in wages.
Also, if the IMF places an embargo on public sector salary increases as a condition, the COLA will not be impacted.
COLA For Teachers is not a new issue in Ghana, and this is not the first time it has come up. Governments in the past have paid COLA for up to three years without raising salaries. It was removed when salaries were raised.
- Some women make sexual advances before helping other women – Lady Ophelia
- Church issues Certificate of Virginity to Ladies after Pastor’s Inspection
- Rape Allegations Against Thomas Partey are False – Full Story
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
- To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED