Tetra Tech seeks to employ the services of a Fisheries Officer to help boost the company’s initiatives.
The Ghana Fisheries Recovery Activity (GFRA) aims to prevent the collapse of the small pelagic fishery sector in Ghana while improving the supplemental livelihoods, resilience, and food security. This Activity seeks to improve supplemental livelihoods and resilience measures for fishing communities, particularly for women and youth; facilitate private sector engagement and market linkages in the fishing sector; strengthen government capacity in policy making, regulation, and enforcement; strengthen improved science and research, including data for policy and management decisions; and empower key stakeholders to effect change.
The Fisheries Officer will support the implementation of GFRA and GFRA partner activities related to fisheries, in particular fisheries management interventions, co-management, and building capacity to apply scientific information in support of fisheries management. The Fisheries Officer will mobilize key fisheries stakeholder participation in GFRA fisheries management activities.
The Fisheries Officer plays a major role to ensure the quality and timeliness of GFRA’s fisheries interventions. Specifically, he/she will:
• Support the implementation of national level fisheries co-management processes including facilitating and supporting preparatory processes and meetings of the Science and Technical Committee (STC) and the Fisheries Management Operational Committee (FMOC).
• Support and facilitate GFRA efforts to establish subnational co-management committees including active participation and ownership by regional directors ofthe Fisheries Commission. Monitor GFRA grantee and subcontract support to sub-national co-management committees.
• Support GFRA activities that support implementation of the Marine Fisheries Management Plan including but not limited to a moratorium on new entrants, closed fishing season, and other access regulation efforts.
• Support fisher outreach and engagement efforts such as the Fisher-to-Fisher dialogues, community durbars, behavior change communications activities. Ensure strong stakeholder participation in these activities.
• Support the organization of an annual Fisheries Science Symposium starting in 2023.
• Support GFRA efforts to establish marine protected areas.
• Maintain strong relationships with fisher stakeholders at GFRA sites.
• Ensure GFRA fisheries activities are closely integrated with other GFRA objectives such as livelihoods, gender, child labor and trafficking, post-harvest improvements.
• Support monitoring, evaluation, and learning of GFRA project performance and progress relating to fisheries management. Provide inputs to quarterly and annual reports to USAID.
• Support the development of quarterly and annual workplans and budgets and ensure timely implementation of activities accordingly to approved budget levels.
• Other tasks as requested by the Fisheries Management Specialist or the Chief of Party.
Qualification Required & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in fisheries management or other coastal/marine resource management, law and policy, or other relevant field (Master’s degree preferred)
• 3 years’ experience in fisheries management or 8 years’ experience of relevant work.
• Demonstrated relative experience with USAID and/or other donor-funded projects of similar size and complexity.
• Demonstrated experience in community engagement and building relationships with fisheries stakeholders in GFRA sites.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment
• Professional written and spoken proficiency in English required
How To Submit an Application for the Officer, Fisheries at Tetra Tech
Kindly apply through:
GFRA.Applications@tetratech.com with a cover letter and current curriculum vitae (CV) in reverse chronological order format. Subject of email should be Fisheries Officer
Closing Date: 30 November, 2022
Also Click here for details of the Operations Manager Vacancy at Tetra Tech
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
- To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED