AGRA is advertising a new employment option. The role of Development Cooperation Officer, West Africa is currently vacant. The role will be based in Accra, Ghana with support to AGRA West African countries, Ghana, Burkina Faso, Mali and Nigeria.
The Development Cooperation Officer – West Africa is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of AGRA’s overall organizational resource mobilization strategy in West Africa.
- Working closely with the Head – Development Cooperation, the wider Development Cooperation (DC) team, as well as other Divisional teams, the Development Cooperation Officer (DCO) will support the growth of AGRA’s funding partnerships by building a strong donor stewardship culture and a healthy funding pipeline to resource AGRA’s new five-year strategic plan, for East and Southern Africa.
- Working closely with s/he will lead and coordinate the identification of resource mobilization opportunities to support the delivery of the regional and country strategies.
- This will include capturing donor intelligence, the development and presentation of proposals to potential donors and partners, support teams on donor stewardship and compliance during implementation, to maximize delivery of the strategic partnerships and shared mission.
- The role will also provide support to other AGRA focus regions and countries from time to time as needed and requested by the Head – Development Cooperation.
Key Measures of Performance:
- Development and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy for West Africa and supporting the implementation of the institution’s resource mobilization strategy and goals.
- Proactively identifying and pursuing strategic funding partnerships at country and regional level to cultivate new business development and meet institutional fundraising targets.
- Leading and coordinating bid development leading to successful conversion rates to secure sufficient, predictable, and sustainable donor funding.
- Ensure adequate cost recovery is built in toward a path of financial sustainability.
- Lead and coordinate the delivery of all donor contract compliance requirements for West Africa, in close coordination with the DC HQ team.
- Support the DC HQ team in wider institutional resource mobilization efforts, donor stewardship and contract compliance.
- Maintenance of strong relationships with donors in West Africa to maximize value of partnerships and ensure a strong position for future reinvestment and/or supplemental funds.
Purpose – Adapt
- Develops a resource mobilization strategy for sustainable growth and flexibility for the East and Southern Africa region with short, medium and long term KPIs.
- Analyzes key trends and gathers intelligence of individual donor policies and plans vis-à-vis AGRA with a focus on West Africa.
- Expands AGRA’s current donor base, through identifying and cultivating opportunities with bilateral, multilateral, philanthropic, and private sector partnerships and translating partnership opportunity into both funds and leverage to achieve resource targets.
- Develops and maintains a current understanding of AGRA’s programs and partners across the organization in all the countries of operation, with a specific focus on West Africa.
Engagement – Persuade
- Acquires and builds strategic relationships with a portfolio of development partners and collaborators at national government, regional level, and private sector that AGRA in West Africa can work with to leverage its investments in agricultural transformation.
- Works closely with AGRA’s Communication Unit and Strategy & Analytics Unit, to develop external fundraising material and coordinate inputs for external events and opportunities for West Africa
- Provides proactive and timely advice to senior management at regional and country level, including to the Head – Development Cooperation, on strategic donor priorities and alignment with AGRA strategy in West Africa.
- Advises teams on donor compliance and AGRA requirements, including ensuring timely and quality donor reporting.
- Represents AGRA at external forums and meetings on occasion and as requested to position the institution with donors and partners critical to achieving AGRA’s strategy.
Delivery – Adapt the Project Cycle
- Understands AGRA’s strategy and knowledge management products to position the institution for successful resource mobilization.
- Collaborates with teams to develop concept notes, proposals and budgets to meet the institutional funding targets and ambition to deliver AGRA’s strategic plan in East and Southern Africa priority countries – Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Malawi, Mozambique and Zambia.
- Leads on donor contract and compliance for East and Southern Africa
- Manages and updates the CRM donor database for East and Southern Africa (and other regions where requested) containing critical information e.g. donor policies, funding cycles etc. in order to strengthen AGRA’s institutional capacity to effectively position itself with potential donors, retain and upgrade current partners
- Organizes for briefings, meetings, visits and events with current and prospective donors, coordinate programmatic and logistical arrangements, draft reports and set action plans for follow-up.
- Develops and disseminates of good practices and lessons learnt in order to contribute to AGRA’s institutional strengthening efforts.
- Organizes capacity building sessions in resource mobilization efforts as necessary.
Model the IRISE Values & Be a Culture Carrier
- Integrity: Uphold moral convictions and always doing the right thing.
- Respect: Value differences and embrace diversity and inclusion.
- Innovation: Strive for excellence and embracing continuous improvement, bold creativity, and change.
- Stewardship: Be responsible for actions undertaken and resources entrusted.
- Equity: Be governed by fairness in all undertakings.
Qualification Required & Experience:
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- Master’s degree in international development, Agriculture, Agricultural Economics, Public Finance, Public Administration, Rural Development, Social Sciences, or any other relevant field.
- Ability to work with donors as well as manage and build strategic donor relations; sound understanding of the donor financing landscape and processes in East & Southern Africa.
- Ability to work on performance-based targets for fundraising.
- Results-oriented, accountable, proactive and able to work on behalf of AGRA with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Ability to work effectively within multi-disciplinary teams.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and with polish to individuals and groups of people.
- Ability to translate program-based concepts into practical realities.
- High-level experience in international development, including working in resource mobilization and/or business development for UN agencies and multi-lateral agencies, large NGO’s or donor-aid programs.
- Fluency in English is required both written and verbal, as a working language of AGRA and key partners in the priority countries
- Proven experience in mobilizing resources from private sector donors
- Knowledge of and relationships with European bilateral and multilateral donors will be an advantage.
- Achieving Results: Anticipates constraints, identifies solutions and takes responsibility for addressing critical situations; Sets self and others stretching goals, over and above those required to meet organizational standards and targets; Takes the necessary actions to meet these goals; identifies and applies measures to track and quantify achievement; Aligns projects with organization’s mission and objectives and demonstrates a good understanding of the impact of team’s and own work on external and internal counterparts..
- Managing & Sharing Knowledge: Disseminates and shares knowledge openly and actively contributes to knowledge/network communities for topics relevant to area of expertise; Builds networks for the effective communication and exchange of knowledge and ideas and puts others into contact with various sources of knowledge; Contributes to an environment that is conducive to innovation and learning.
- Accountability: Maintains ethical behavior, admits mistakes and exhibits responsible behavior in the meeting of performance expectations; Actively seeks out solutions to achieve results; Holds self-accountable for achieving results as an individual as well as team members; Identifies and assists in addressing areas of weakness that may impact the department’s performance.
- Diversity & Inclusion: Takes a conscious effort to learn about different styles of conflict resolution; Is proactive in managing conflict over differences when it arises rather than avoiding it; Listens actively for the frames of reference and does not prejudge; Seeks to understand and adapt to different styles when working with those who are different; Treats others as they wish to be treated; Shows readiness to change the way he/she does things to meet the needs of those from diverse backgrounds.
- Adaptability: Adapts personal approach to meet the needs of different or new situations; Seeks guidance in adapting behavior to the needs of a new or different situation.
- Stakeholder Focus/Partnerships: Contacts stakeholders to follow up on services, solutions or products to ensure that their needs have been correctly and effectively met; Understands issues from the stakeholder’s perspective; Keeps stakeholders up-to-date with information and decisions that affect them; Monitors services provided to stakeholders and makes timely adjustments as required; Maintains ongoing communication with stakeholders; Regularly and systematically contacts stakeholders or prospective stakeholders to determine their needs; Uses understanding of stakeholder’s perspective to identify constraints and advocate on their behalf; Works with stakeholders to adapt services, products or solutions to meet their needs; Encourages co-workers and teams to achieve a high standard of service excellence; Anticipates areas where support or influence will be required and discusses situation/concerns with appropriate individuals; Proposes new, creative and sound alternatives to improve stakeholder service delivery; Engages effectively with all stakeholders.
- Teamwork: Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to people at all levels; Is fully aware of the team purposes, respects and understands individual and collective responsibilities; Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a ‘hands-on’ approach whenever necessary to achieve team objectives; Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and deadlines.
Terms of Appointment:
3 Years Fixed Term (Consideration for renewal will be made subject to AGRA’s needs, available funding and performance).
How To Apply AGRA West Africa’s Employment Slot
Kindly submit your application with a detailed CV (including your e-mail address and telephone contacts to: email@example.com noting to quote the job reference number: DCO/WA/09/2023 in the subject of your email)
Closing Date: 6th November, 2023
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
- To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED