A Senior Manager – Environment is needed at AngloGold Ashanti Limited. They are seeking an experienced and self-motivated person to join their dedicated team.
This role is accountable for the development and implementation of Environmental management strategy, systems and plans to maintain the environmental legal and social license to operate Obuasi Mine. He/she will also be accountable for defining, implementing and monitoring environmental management across Obuasi Mine; provide expert level, professional environment management capability and capacity to meet operational, regulatory and corporate requirements as well as facilitate capacity-building of environmental management skills among all disciplines on site and assist sites to integrate environmental management activities into their daily operations as applicable.
- Ensure to achieve the annual safety targets as set by the MD for area of accountability
- Ensure that the health and safety management systems (OSHAS 18001) in area of accountability are being complied with and that any deviations in this regard are addressed in the appropriate manner
- Lead by example at all times to create a safe work environment in which risk is managed and people are able to perform their jobs without the risk of injury to themselves or others
- Accountable for the implementation, communication and enforcement of all environmental legal compliance for the department.
- Identify the environmental aspects of all activities/areas of oversight responsibilities and provide appropriate mitigation measures.
- Promote and advocate contemporary environmental management practices at all levels of the workforce in a collaborative, cooperative and multi-disciplinary manner.
- Prepare and review environmental programs, plans, reports and assessments
- Provide environmental technical support covering contaminated land, rehabilitation, biodiversity, environmental quality (surface water, groundwater, air quality etc.) and other environmental issues/risks to support informed strategic decision making
- Provide training, guided learning, mentoring and peer support to line management and staff to develop their environmental management competencies and help them deliver against their accountabilities
- Ensure the continual improvement of the environmental management culture and all underlying supporting systems, compliance and reporting.
- Prepare annual and project area specific work requirement plans, including budgets, schedules and risk assessments and monitor implementation progress against these parameters.
Manage and conduct the rebuild and implement and maintain the resultant site environmental management system so that it is a working system, implemented across site and across disciplines in a manner which manages risks, monitors impacts and facilitates all environmental risk management and compliance activities across site.
- Establish, measure and audit site environmental targets, ensuring continual improvement in environmental performance.
- Provide the relevant leadership and guidance to ensure the implemented Management System fulfills the requirements of certification under ISO 14001.
- Manage all environmental-related licenses, permits and certificate requirements and monitor environmental practices to ensure required certification and compliance with applicable regulatory, site and corporate standards
- Manage environmental monitoring and continuous evaluation to provide early warning signs of change for corrective action, ensure compliance, identify risks and inform management decisions.
- Facilitate, coordinate and manage environmental-related stakeholder (internal and external) engagement and communication.
- Maintain constructive working relationship with the EPA (Ghana), to ensure permitting and approvals are on time and efficiently supports the business plan
- Facilitate a collegiate cooperative environment with other technical specialists and functional heads at a site and regional level to disseminate progress information, lessons learnt, receive expert technical input and ensure that environmental requirements are considered and implemented at all levels.
- Provide for the satisfaction of all environmental legal and other obligations, especially permits and licenses, including their periodic renewal, as required.
- Mobilize and/or contribute expert advice to relevant peers and, where appropriate, the authorities and/or civil society in order to support improved environmental stewardship in the local area. Waste management and artisanal mining, in particular its combined impact upon water resources and woodlands are likely to require particular attention
- Investigate all environmental incidents and ensure that appropriate mitigation measures are recommended so as to avoid their reoccurrence. Incidents reports to be produced in a timely manner in conformity with the company procedure
- Negotiate contracts for services provided to the Environmental Department in accordance with the applicable policy.
- Perform the role of Contract Representative to monitor all aspects of contractor’s performance and address any performance and contract compliance issues in area of accountability.
- Review compliance to laws and AGA standards and commitments, review performance against objectives and targets, review impact of programmes (e.g. ISO 14001) and project interventions
- Maintain a change management review process that identifies potential future transgressions of existing approvals and enables additional permits or variations to be obtained in a timely manner
- Identify all environmental risks and opportunities and provide and/or oversee the provision of quarterly updates regarding the control measures set out in order to address these.
Qualification, Skill And Experience
- A relevant graduate qualification in Environmental / Earth / Natural Resource Management related sciences or Environmental Engineering.
- Post graduate Degree in Environmental studies or related fields will be an added advantage
At least 10 years’ experience in the environmental discipline in the mining industry, with 3 to 5 years at a senior management level with substantial knowledge and experience of complex statutory approvals, environmental management and environmental management systems, including ISO 14001
- Proven experience in technical team management.
- Experience in practical, pragmatic and business-oriented environmental solution identification and implementation based on specific site characteristics.
- Field experience (preferably in Africa) and demonstrated ability in environmental management, monitoring, planning and assessment and reporting.
- Experience in project management and managing contractors and consultants.
- Experience of engaging with external and internal stakeholders, and in particular positive regulator engagement (preferably with Ghana EPA)
- Gold-related mineral exploration methods, mine waste disposal methods, mineral processing methods and integrated closure options for all domains.
- Strategic and business mine planning process and models.
- Project management and change management programs.
- Ability to engage with all different disciplines throughout various levels of the workforce including management
- Excellent negotiation and consultation skills
- Ability to understand pragmatic business requirements within the context of the applied regulatory environment.
- Ability to understand and implement complex environments with competing requirements
- Flexibility and ability to implement change management processes as required
- Risk assessment and mitigation processes and application
- Demonstrate ability to manage Environmental Quality of a mining operation
- Be ready to develop effective measures for environmental management and providing solutions to any emerging socio-economic issues of the surrounding community that threatens the environment.
- Management level experience in environmental and compliance aspect of mining operations
- Extensive network with relevant government agencies, consultants and project stakeholders as required to identify, efficiently obtain approvals and establish systems to achieve compliance to approval and address stakeholder expectations
- Exhibit excellent verbal and written communication, and report writing skills in English
- Conflict management
- Mentorship & coaching
- Sound understanding of the mining value chain and impacts of Engineering Management
How To Apply – Senior Manager – Environment at AngloGold Ashanti Limited
Closig Date: 19th May, 2022
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
- To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED