Process Operations Supervisor
Brong-Ahafo Region, BA, GH (Ghana)
Newmont Mining Corporation is a leading global gold producer with key assets in Nevada, Peru, Australia, Ghana and Suriname.
Newmont’s Africa Operations holds two gold mining operations in Ghana: the Ahafo Mine located in the Brong-Ahafo region and the Akyem Mine located in the Eastern region. There is also near mine exploration and development focus in Ghana to annually replace gold reserves. Newmont Africa also has early-stage exploration programs in the African countries of Ethiopia and Morocco.
Our Africa operations employ approximately 5,900 employees and contractors, with the majority working at the Ahafo Mine. We offer an unparalleled blend of opportunity and career satisfaction with all the benefits you would expect from a global company. This, combined with our growth opportunities, makes Newmont a great company to work.
Our Akyem and Ahafo mines have made significant sustainable community development investments in our host communities. These include establishing Development Funds at our Akyem and Ahafo operational areas with each mine contributing US$1 per ounce of gold sold and 1% of net pre-tax annual profit into its community development fund.
The only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index, Newmont in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through our Africa operations’ high standards in environmental management, health and safety for our workforce and creating value and opportunity for our employees, host communities and Newmont’s shareholders.
About This Role:
To coordinate and manage the daily activities of process operations shift personnel in upholding safety, ensuring efficiency and a high work quality output to improve operational performance and contribute to optimum production levels.
In This Role You Will:
Process Operations Oversight
- Supervise operations in all process areas (i.e. Crushing, Grinding, Carbon-in-Leach (CIL), Elution, Counter Current Decantation (CCD), Water Storage Facility (WSF) and Tailings Storage Facility (TSF) ).
- Schedule and deploy personnel, equipment and supplies necessary for the successful operation of the process plant.
- Ensure adherence to operating parameters, make decisions on operating conditions or parameters and take necessary corrective action to minimise operating variations.
- Oversee the progress made by the shift team and monitor results and quality at each processing stage.
- Work with the metallurgical team and laboratory to ensure the optimum metallurgical performance of the process plant.
- Work with the maintenance team to achieve efficient plant equipment performance and availability.
- Coordinate maintenance requirements of the process plant outside of business hours to maintain production requirements and targets.
- Notify management of any detectable and/or prolonged production variance.
- Coordinate production shutdowns and start-ups of the process plant to minimize delays.
- Maintain a high housekeeping standard in all process circuits.
- Provide input into daily operational issues regarding areas affected to the General Foreman or Management.
- Manage and control costs within own area where possible (i.e. reduce waste, improve operational control).
- Request services from other departments as required.
- Participate in continuous improvement programs which will assist in enhancing the performance of the process plant operation.
- Coordinate and execute smaller projects in the process area by following the change management procedure.
- Complete all tasks identified in the processing operations i.e Management Operating System (MOS) elements to the specified quality and timeliness as assigned to this role.
- Provide input into the development and review of the process operations i.e Sewage Treatment Plants (STPs), management plans, operating procedures and guidelines.
Process Operations Shift Supervision
- Supervise shift teams responsible for the operation of the process plant and associated facilities.
- Instruct shift team personnel on safe work practices and conduct work place inspections on a regular basis by:
- Inspecting and examining each operating area a minimum of three times during the course of every scheduled shift.
- Issuing continuous and ongoing instructions to each person under their direct control throughout the work period.
- Inspecting primary production and auxiliary equipment regularly for maintenance integrity.
- Inspecting each operating area for housekeeping requirements and direct operating personnel to maintain housekeeping standards.
- Reviewing operating reports or log sheets throughout regular scheduled shifts and taking corrective action to maintain operating parameters.
- Conduct thorough shift handover meetings for the relevant shift or crew and transfer applicable information.
Process Operations Maintenance
- Coordinate and assist operators with troubleshooting equipment defects or malfunctions.
- Perform equipment isolations in accordance to established procedures.
- Work with the maintenance team to achieve efficient plant equipment performance and availability.
- Liaise with the maintenance department in defining the maintenance requirements of the process plant outside of business hours to maintain production requirements and targets.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Comply with all Health, Safety, Loss and Prevention (HSLP), environment and social responsibility requirements under Newmont’s Integrated Management System.
- Accept personal responsibility for the health and safety of every employee under or assigned to his or her supervision.
- Provide hands-on assistance during operations activities and ensuring that safe work practices are followed.
- Manage isolation or de-isolation of the process plant equipment.
- Conduct periodic safety meetings and inspections.
- Attend monthly safety inspection and meetings.
- Oversee that security procedures are followed to minimize the opportunities for theft of material or company property.
- Prepare shift production and operating reports, complete work requests, prepare purchase or warehouse requisitions and prepare employee time and attendance reports.
- Complete reports accurately detailing production variances, restrictions, hazards and corrective actions.
- Produce a daily shift report and submit the report to the General Foreman.
- Produce incident or accident reports where required.
- Sign-off on all daily timesheet attendance records.
- Communicate job requirements expected of job operators.
- Provide on-the-job training, mentoring and coaching.
- Conduct regular face-to-face interview assessments to understand operators’ development needs.
- Assess and record operators’ developmental progress when undergoing training in specific areas.
- Perform the first level of performance appraisal.
- Recommend further or relevant training courses and development actions.
- Enhance communication with staff through regular feedback, contact, meetings and briefings etc.
Your Training, Skills and Experience Checklist:
Formal Qualification (including Professional Registrations):
- Bachelor’s degree in Extractive Metallurgy or Chemistry or equivalent.
- Mastery in gold processing technology.
- City and Guilds in metalliferous certificate III.
- Advance knowledge of mineral processing principles and industry standards.
- Advance knowledge of processing plant equipment.
- Advance knowledge in Scada or Citect.
- A minimum of 6 – 8 years’ experience in metalliferous mining with a minimum of 4 – 5 years’ in gold processing operations.
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience supervising large and diverse teams.
- Must have previous process operating experience particularly in Crushing, SAG-Ball Mill Grinding, Leach / CIL / CIP, Elution, Reagents and Tails Operation.
- Must have a current Ghanaian C/ E driver’s license.
- Advance analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advance communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Advance computer literacy skills – MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), and SAP.
- Advance information monitoring and management skills.
- Advance planning, organizing and prioritizing skills.
- Strong business continuity management skills.
- Strong capacity planning skills.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills.
- Strong conflict management and influencing skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong personnel administration skills.
- Sound needs analysis skills.
- Sound change management skills.
- Deadline driven.
- Goal oriented.
- Takes initiaitve.
- Lateral thinking.
- Quality oriented.
- Safety Conscious
- Team Player
Position is located in the Ahafo North mine. The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representatives of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: The noise level in the office work environment is minimal. Occasional exposure to noise, fumes, high temperature hazardous materials, sharp edges, dust, pinch-points, slippery surfaces etc.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): Work requires mandatory PPE such as helmet, goggles, high visible clothing, safety harness, ear plugs and dust mask according to working conditions.
Our business success comes from the accomplishments and well-being of our employees and contractors. Our goal is to build a workplace culture that fosters leaders and allows every person to thrive, contribute, and grow. We are committed to selecting and developing our employees, and to establishing a work environment where everyone can take an active part in reaching our strategic goals while feeling a sense of pride in working at Newmont.
Newmont seeks to recruit, hire, place and promote qualified applicants, meaning applicants who meet the minimum requirements of the position, without regard to personal characteristics such as gender, race, nationality, ethnic, social and indigenous origin, religion or belief, disability, age or sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NOTE: Newmont does not ask for or require job applicants to pay money to apply or be considered for employment with the Company. In addition, Newmont does not ask potential job candidates to provide sensitive personal data without first submitting a job application through our secure, online portal, and only as requested for legitimate business purposes. If you are asked to provide money or sensitive personal data through any other means, do not respond and please report this immediately to email@example.com.
HOW TO APPLY
Closing Date : 26 May. 2021
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
- To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED