iDE Ghana Advertises New Job Opportunity
iDE Ghana, an international Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in the Agriculture and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sectors is recruiting an Agronomist.
- Team: Agriculture
- Reports to: Program Manager
- Job Location: Tamale with frequent day and overnight travel to other districts and rural areas
- Start Date: 8th December 2021
- Contract End Date: 31st December 2022 (subject to renewal)
- Contract Type: Full Time (Fixed Term)
- Annual Base Salary (range): Between GHC 48,000.00 to GHC 60,600.00
- Areas of Operation: Northern, Upper East, and Upper West regions
- Reports directly to the Program Manager
- As a member of the Agriculture Team, works in close collaboration with the Farm Managers, Market & Value Chain Manager, and Farm Business Coordinators to accomplish project deliverables within the set timelines.
- Direct reports include Farm Business Coordinators on technical matters
General Job Description
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Agronomist will work with farmers in Ghana to produce and market high-value crops using climate-smart technologies coupled with agricultural extension services.
The Agronomist will be directly involved in farming activities and provide technical agronomic training to Farm Business Advisors (FBA) and farmers, and to work closely with Agro inputs dealers on the right inputs for farmers to enhance the high productivity of crops.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities (modifications may be made at any time)
- Provides backstopping to Farm Managers and Farm Business Coordinators on Agriculture Technical challenges encountered in the field. Seeks external support in case it is required (from PPRSD, MoFA, CABI, SARI, etc).
- Puts into practice the appropriate technical methodologies to achieve maximum agro-economic benefits which translate to maximum profitability.
- Engages with private sector firms to incorporate the best-proven inputs and technologies available in-country project-wise and entrepreneurially.
- Training of Farm Business Coordinators on good agriculture practices, post-harvest handling, pest identification, and control (including integrated pest management).
- Support to develop impactful, cost-effective, and scalable market access models for the cereals and vegetable value chains using iDE Agric tactics and strategy.
- Work with the Program Manager, Farm Managers, and other fellow team members to define the specific technical and extension strategy for reaching maximum benefits of targeted crops and irrigation performance.
- Identifies new potential agricultural challenges which might affect productivity, like invasive insects, diseases & weeds and keeps informed about best controls while continuously updating the Farm Managers.
- Defines the best irrigation protocols to achieve maximum productivity according to the season and crop.
- Organizes pesticide trials (only ones approved by Ghana EPA) if required.
- Familiarizes with the organization’s gender plan and other related activities.
- With support from Farm Managers, lead the Farm Business Coordinators to make accurate monthly plans according to the season.
- Supervises the technical reporting of Farm Managers, and provides feedback of additional information that should be collected from the field.
Required Skills or Experience (iDE Ghana Advertises New Job Opportunity)
- Graduated from a recognized university with a degree in Agronomy or Agriculture Technology or related field.
- At least 4 years work experience in Horticulture production, Soil & Crop Science, Agric business, and other related fields.
- Available for regular travel within the northern regions of Ghana.
- Experience working in rural areas and with Small Holder Farmers is an asset.
- Excellent spoken and written skills in English, Twi, Dagbani, and other local languages.
- Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Collaborative and thrives in a team environment where ideas build on one another.
- Excited by and open to new ideas and new ways of doing things.
- Driven to achieve results.
- Able to work under pressure without complaining and maintain high prescribed standards.
- Able to work in a multi-cultural team.
- High level of empathy and patience.
- Demonstrates honesty, integrity, and strong work ethic.
- Confident, organized, and good communication skills.
- Willingness to take on additional areas of responsibility relevant to the role.
- A high level of commitment to IDE’s values and objectives.
- A highly responsible approach to all tasks.
- Positive attitude with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong presentation and facilitation skills.
- Energetic and ability to self-motivate.
APPLICATION PROCESS (iDE Ghana Advertises New Job Opportunity)
CLOSING DATE: On or before 18th November 2021.
- In view of the anticipated volume of applications to be received, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the next phase of the recruitment process.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED