WUSC (World University Service of Canada) is a Canadian non-profit organization working to create a better world for all young people.
We bring together a diverse network of students, volunteers, schools, governments, and businesses who share this vision.
Together, we develop solutions in education, economic opportunities, and empowerment to overcome inequality and exclusion for youth around the world, particularly young women and young refugees.
WUSC currently works in 25 countries across Africa, Asia, the Middle East, and Latin America, with an annual budget of approximately CAD $40 million.
We have over 90 staff in our Ottawa office, and over 200 people overseas implementing 16 development projects in collaboration with donors such as Global Affairs Canada, the UK Department for International Development (DFID), the World Bank, the Asian Development Bank, and the African Development Bank.
Position: Finance Officer (1 Position)
Position location: Accra
Reports to: Country Finance Manager
Contract term: 1 year with possibility of renewal
The INVEST Project
The Innovation in Non-Traditional Vocational Education and Skills Training (INVEST) is a 5 year (2020 -2025) initiative funded by Global Affairs Canada (GAC).
The project will build sustainable pathways to enhanced economic empowerment, well-being and inclusive growth for 5,000 urban poor young women in Accra, Kumasi, and Sekondi-Takoradi, Ghana.
Working in high growth sectors, the initiative will test and scale innovative, sustainable models to improve the enabling environment for and reduce gender–specific barriers to women’s economic participation.
The project will ultimately enhance access to decent work for marginalized women in non-traditional sectors within the Ghanaian economy.
Nature and Scope
Under the direction and supervision of the Country Finance Manager, and in close collaboration with the WUSC Finance Team, this position provides strong support in Financial Management for the implementation of the INVEST and other WUSC projects in Ghana.
The Finance Officer will perform the following responsibilities:
- Record and maintain accurate and timely financial information in accounting records/accounting system and assist in preparation of reports to WUSC Headquarters (HQ) in a timely and reliable manner;
- Assist in the effective development, management and monitoring of annual budget for all project activities and maintaining strict control of all expenditures through performance-to-budget analysis;
Finance And Accounting Support
- Provide strong support to the Country Finance Manager in ensuring compliance with WUSC finance policies and procedures
- Review and analyse invoices and payment requests submitted for vendor payment
- Scrutinise staff travel/activity advances and liquidations for errors, adequate support documentation in compliance with WUSC policies and donor requirements.
- Provide first hand information and guidance to the program officers and volunteers on finance matters
- Management of petty cash for efficient cash flow for small office purchases and reimbursable
- Preparation of Payment Vouchers (PVs) and issuing cheques for authorisation and approval
- Maintaining an up to date register of cheques issued and dispatched
- Preparation of monthly bank reconciliations on timely basis
- Assist with procurement (in close collaboration with the Administrative Officer) for inventory and supplies in the office
- Ensure timely filing of statutory returns (PAYE/SSF) with state agencies and institutions.
- Support with timely update/recording of financial transactions into the financial system (Quicken/SAGE 50)
- Ensure adequate electronic and physical filing of financial supporting (backup) documentation
- Performing other finance duties as may be assigned from time to time
WUSC is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
APPLICATION PROCESS (Finance Officer)
If you wish to apply for this position, please submit a letter of motivation and CV to email@example.com quoting the position title e.g. “Finance Officer”.
Only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Closing Date: 7th December 2021
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED