Exciting Job Opportunity At Last Mile Health. Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities.
At Last Mile Health, we make bold commitments that inspire innovation. Do you have a record of working with partners to mobilize and direct resources to health systems? If so, you may be the next Director, Health Financing.
Last Mile Health’s Health Finance portfolio of work aims to strengthen our country governments’ ability to financially plan, mobilize resources, and make the most of financial resources for its community health sector. Last Mile Health does this through (1) direct technical assistance, (2) developing tools, evidence, and content – e.g., costing tools or cost-effectiveness studies, and (3) working with and through partners to advocate for health finance priorities including resource mobilization.
The Director, Health Financing will lead the Health Finance practice within the Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) department. The Health Finance practice works closely with our country teams and government counterparts to design programs and ensure adequate, sustainable, and smart financing is applied to these community health programs. This work includes costing of programs, cost-benefit and cost-effectiveness analysis, ROI and cost-to-impact analysis designing and executing resource mobilization plans, developing investment cases, and supporting allocation decisions. The Health Finance team also works with country program teams and others like the advocacy team to influence funding flows, input into policy and planning documents, and shape the overall environment for health financing priorities. The Health Finance, HSS practice, and country teams work together to determine roles of the HSS team – ranging from technical consultation/advising, technical oversight, participation in the project working groups, and, in some cases, leading on projects. The Director, Health Financing will lead the design and execute the portfolio of activities and build effective working teams.
This position is open to candidates located in Uganda and the eastern seaboard of the United States. Candidates must have work authorization in the country above that they seek to work in.
What You’ll Do (Exciting Job Opportunity At Last Mile Health)
- Vision and Strategy – Develop a vision for HSS Health Finance portfolio of work – including the long-term goal of the practice, and what is needed now to get there. Develop Last Mile Health’s approach to health financing, and how it adapts to country programs. Advise and develop with country teams a country-specific health financing strategy and work plan.
- Design and Execute Health Finance Portfolio — Ensure that all health finance priorities are translated into projects, activities, and sub-activities with scopes of work, are properly resourced, include project management support, clear accountabilities, and are linked to team and organizational objectives, key results, and work plans. Ensure that the working teams execute at quality against these priorities.
- Individual Contribution – Bring own experience and technical skills to the work, often as a “helper” role to others.
- Partnerships – Develop and cultivate relationships with key stakeholders related to our health finance work, represent LMH externally, bring an understanding of health finance in the context of other influence and advocacy agendas.
- Build Working Teams – Manage a small number of direct reports and build or develop cross-departmental working teams through coaching, mentoring, building knowledge, sharing experience, joint learning, and building capacity in countries. Work cross-departmentally to cultivate partner relationships, and input into funding proposals for health finance
What You’ll Bring
- An advanced degree (MA or MPH) in health economics, health financing, public health management, or related field; equivalent experience may be substituted for a graduate degree
- Significant years of experience working in health finance and/or public policy.
- Several years of previous management experience, preferably an integrated team of national and international staff members, managing a portfolio of projects and technical teams to accomplish those projects.
- Experience with the technical components of health finance (e.g., costing analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis, benefits design, resource mobilization, strategic purchasing, fiscal space analysis, benefits incidence, national health accounts exercises, resource mapping)
- Experience working with, building relationships with, and influencing public sector funding decisions including donor (e.g., USAID, World Bank, Global Fund, GAVI) and domestic resources.
- High adaptability and an ability to effectively plan for and cope with change
- Strong project management skills to accurately scope out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; set objectives and goals; break down work into the process steps; develop schedules and task/people assignments; anticipate and adjust for problems and roadblocks; measure performance against goals; evaluate results.
- Fluency in English language.
You’ll Impress Us If (Exciting Job Opportunity At Last Mile Health)
- You have experience on projects designed to support national community health programs or health services delivered at a community level
- You have experience motivating and empowering staff members to achieve key performance indicators
- You have strong influencing skills and the ability to develop relations with local counterparts, donors, and other stakeholders
- You have demonstrated success in both building and leading effective teams
At Last Mile Health, we strive to reward our employees equitably and transparently. This means that we pay our employees based on a clear and consistent methodology and without regard to the identity or personal relationships. We have made this model fully transparent so that everyone has access to all information related to compensation. We hope this helps you better understand Last Mile Health’s values and commitments to our employees. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
Before applying to this role, please take a moment to learn more about our approach to compensation and how compensation works in each of the countries where we operate.
HOW TO APPLY (Exciting Job Opportunity At Last Mile Health)
Closing Date: Ongoing
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
WhatsApp Job & Scholarship Alert
- To get daily Job and Scholarship Alerts on Whatsapp, Join Our WhatsApp Group via the link below.
NOTE: PLEASE IF YOU’RE ON ANY OF OUR WHATSAPP GROUPS, DON’T JOIN THIS ONE
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE SHOULD AN APPLICANT PAY MONEY TO ANYONE IN GETTING A JOB WE HAVE PUBLISHED